Monday, January 3, 2011

Slow of Tongue

For the fifth or sixth time I push the sound button on Google translate and concentrate all my listening power. My brow knits together and I lean forward as I star at the table top in front of me with unseeing eyes.

"Je vous remercie de l'audience et de répondre" an unknown french woman rattles off.

I think I've finally got that last syllable. After jotting down a memory prompt I put down my pen. Taking a deep breath I try the phrase for myself. It doesn't rattle off my tongue. Instead it gets stuck somewhere and does not even reach my mouth. Giving my head a quick shake to get it "unstuck" I try again. This time I manage a fairly convincing "Je vous remercie" but come to a grinding stop when confronted with "de l'audience". I preform a odd set of vocalizations and tongue flapping hoping this will somehow get me past this tongue twisting challenge. Eventually I spit it all out. I'm speaking French; slow, halting French.

I lay awake at night wondering "How will I ever be able to speak enough French to minister to the Chadian people's needs? How will I be an effective nurse...an effective missionary with this slow tongue of mine?" I try to remember how to say the simple prayer I had been memorizing. I can't remember and feel bad. O Lord, how?

After seeing a snake turn into a rod and his own hand cured of leprosy Moses still questioned God in fear.
"O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue"
I understand Moses' fear. I tremble with him and plead my own inability. But with him I can also hear the promise.

Thus saith the Lord: "Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing , or the blind? Have not I, the Lord? Now therefore, go and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say."

I need not lay awake in fear tonight. The Lord's promise is sure.

Mon Dieu
Je vous remercie de votre promesse.
J'ai confiance en vous.
Au nom de Jésus
Amen

No comments: